Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bible Study Chapter 3

I was elected as Bible Study Leader at our women's meetings on Thursday nights. I am NOT a speaker, and was very nervous about accepting the nomination for it, yet I felt that little "go on! It will be good for you!" in my heart, so I did. I am quite like Moses in my speech, and didn't know how or what I was doing! The first week I was in tears because I just didn't know how I was going to do it! God gave me strength and the words to say, and I made it through, though it was very rough. The second week was about the same, and I continued to stumble over my words. The third lesson, I decided the only way for me to not stumble through the whole thing was to write out every word I was going to say, which goes against everything I'd learned in college speech classes, but it works for me! It helps me not to leave out anything and not to say things I'd regret later and to get through it without 300 rabbit trails! So I thought, since I'm writing them out anyway, I might as well share them on here!

The name of the book we're using for our study is "After God's Heart" by Lynn Silvey. I didn't write out the first two lessons, so I'll just brief them.

Chapter 1 was called "A Matter of the Heart" and was about how and why David was chosen to be the future king. His heart was prepared for it, even though he was the youngest and least kingly. I compared it to how I was among the youngest of our women's meetings and somehow got elected as bible study leader, rather than the older, more experienced and wiser ladies.

Chapter 2 was called "The Tender Musician" and was about how David used his musical talents to help Saul through his heartache and used them for God's glory, which is how we should use our talents.

And here we are: Chapter 3!

Chapter 3: The Giant Killer
I Samuel 17:30-58
I.                    Saul heard David was there and was talking big, so Saul sent for him.
a.       He was probably worried by what was going on and wanted to see firsthand.
b.      How often do we worry or want to control things ourselves?
II.                  David tells Saul, “I got this!”
a.       He had no fear because he knew God would provide him protection and the victory over Goliath.
                                                               i.      Think of our giant – SIN.
                                                             ii.      God has provided us protection. He gives us warnings in His Word and tells us to meditate thereon, so when we’re faced with temptation, we can whip out our “sword” to fight off the giant. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any 2-edged sword.” Psalm 119:11 says, “Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
                                                            iii.      God has provided victory over our sins! I Cor. 15:59 says, “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
b.      He remembered God had led him through before.
                                                               i.      God had delivered him from the lion and the bear. David, at that time, may have been thinking “Why, Lord?” Now he knows why!
                                                             ii.      God often allows rough times so we can trust him when going through other trials and so we can have “training” for future trials.
III.                Saul says “Okay, go, but, here, wear my armor to protect you.”
a.       Saul realized that David’s faith in God was great, but he thought David should be wearing armor to protect him. Many times we remind ourselves we can do it with God, but we still are looking for a “security blanket.”
b.      David wasn’t fit for Saul’s armor, so he takes it off, fully relying on God to get him through.
                                                               i.      HOWEVER, David did have armor….the whole armor of God (see Eph. 6)
                                                             ii.      AND, David knew just how big his God really was!
1.       Lynn Silvey, author of this study book, quoted Beth Moore in this chapter, and I LOVE the quote! “Anything over my head is still under His feet!”
2.       On the veggie tales episode of this story, David sings a song about Goliath and sings, “He’s big, but God’s bigger!” What a great reminder!
IV.                David gears up!
a.       David took his staff and his sling and gathered 5 stones.
b.      Lynn Silvey noted that the fact that he took 5 stones was very interesting. Numbers in the bible are often very significant, and 5 is the number associated with God’s grace and protection. Just what David needed!
V.                  The enemies come face to face.
a.       Goliath looks at David and laughs, thinking it must be a joke, and begins to mock David and God. WARNING! You better be ready for a whooping if you mock God! Gal. 6:7 says, “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”
b.      David lets everyone know that it will not be him fighting this battle, but that the battle is God’s.
                                                               i.      So God can receive the glory.
                                                             ii.      So David remembers he can only do this with God.
VI.                The “battle”
a.       They ran at each other both so confidently.
                                                               i.      Goliath confident in himself.
                                                             ii.      David confident in God.
b.      It just took one stone and Goliath was out for the count. David may have been expecting a bigger battle or to use more stones, but God guided that first stone right where it needed to go…and fast! Goliath wasn’t given a second chance to mock God.
c.       David cut off Goliath’s head with Goliath’s own sword, and the Philistines fled with fear. They knew David’s God was no joke, and they were getting out of there!
d.      Ironically all the Israelites lost their fear suddenly once the giant was gone! Sometimes we wait for God to move the mountain first, or to “prove Himself” again, but if we only had faith like David! Imagine all the things we could see God do through us! Matthew 17:20 says, “And Jesus said unto them, because of your unbelief; for verily I say unto you, if ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you.”
VII.              Saul was impressed.
a.       Those who know God sometimes forget how AMAZING He is, and are shocked when they see Him work. Have you forgotten?
b.      Saul wanted to know who his father was. Lynn Silvey notes that it was most likely so he could pardon their family from taxes. God often rewards us/our families when we do what we should. But we shouldn’t do it for the reward, but God’s glory!

Phil. 4:13  says, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

Isaiah 41:13 says, “ For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, fear not, I will help thee.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate